Kenneth P. Strongman, Esq.
Mr. Strongman is an attorney with over 17-years experience and a growing national reputation as an attorney, mediator, mediation trainer, and adjunct professor, who successfully conducts mediations full time; he believes that “Mediation is conflict at its best.”
His major practice areas include business, construction defects, real estate, insurance, technology/IT, intellectual property, employment, environment, energy, and trusts & estates. He is also an Arbitrator and Mediator for FINRA [Financial Industry Regulatory Authority]. He is also a Judge Pro Tem.
His degrees in Environmental Planning & Management (U.C. Davis) and Business Administration & Information Systems (Golden Gate University) provide a solid basis for accelerated resolution of legal issues in these subject matter areas.
MEDIATION OFFICE OF KENNETH P. STRONGMAN, Walnut Creek, CA [2004 – present] Law office providing mediation services.
- Provided mediation services in the subject matter areas of business, securities, construction defects, real estate, insurance, technology, intellectual property, employment, environment, energy, trusts & estates.
- Successfully conducted over a thousand mediations.
- Served as member of the following six mediation panels: California Court of Appeal, First, Third and Sixth Appellate Districts; California Superior Court, Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano and San Joaquin Counties, Congress of Neutrals (Walnut Creek, CA). He is also a Judge Pro Tem.
- Arbitrator and Mediator for FINRA [Financial Industry Regulatory Authority].
- For a list of representative clients, see “Client List,” below.
JOHN F. KENNEDY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, Pleasant Hill, CA [2006 – present] ABA accredited Paralegal Program under the aegis of the law school.
- Taught Mediation and Legal Ethics.
- Served as a member of the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate and the Professional Development Committee.
CONGRESS OF NEUTRALS, Walnut Creek, CA [2003 – 2012] California Not-for-Profit Corporation providing mediation services to the Contra Costa County courts.
Board Member and Mentor
- Performed mediations as member of the Congress panel.
- Mentored and supervised new mediators; provided 40-hour training programs for prospective mediators.
BARDINELLI, STRAW & CAVIN, LLP, San Ramon, CA [2002 – 2004] Law Offices performing legal work for corporate, business, and individual clients.
Conducted general litigation including issues of:
- Title insurance, closings, broker issues, real property disclosures, escrow, and real estate law.
- General business, business formation, and corporations.
- Construction defects and bad faith.
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR, Walnut Creek, CA [1998 – 2002] Independent contractor performing work for law firms and companies. Clients and subject matter areas include:
- Shapiro, Buchman, Provine & Patton. Performed litigation preparation in a case between two religious non-profit associations.
- McCutchen. Performed litigation preparation for multinational trade, marketing and manufacturing dispute; three joint ventures were competing against one another in violation of their contracts.
- California State Automobile Association. Drafted intellectual property contracts; analyzed and negotiated complex software license agreements to increase CSAA’s knowledge base of mission critical contracts; managed consultant agreements to meet executive technology requirements.
- Napster.com, Inc. Ensured compliance with copyright infringement suit.
DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE, San Francisco, CA [1997 – 1998] Office prosecuting criminal offenses within the City and County of San Francisco. Served as a Certified Law Student:
- Successfully prosecuted felony preliminary hearings.
- Drafted and argued motions; participated in settlement conferences; prepared for jury trials.
CHEVRON CORPORATION, San Ramon, CA [1978 – 1993] One of the world’s largest integrated energy companies. Served as a Senior Systems Analyst:
- Supervised a team of six IT professionals.
- Evaluated new system products by creating requirements matrices, developing and implementing test plans, and making recommendations to management based on results; negotiated purchase of system software products and administered installation in four data centers.
- Developed operator certification program designed to standardize the system for promoting qualified employees; management in two data centers implemented the program.
- Led the Disaster Recovery Team in quarterly exercises; represented Chevron at user group events.
DIABLO VALLEY COLLEGE, Pleasant Hill, CA [1988 – 1989] Community college in Contra Costa County. College Instructor:
- Taught four-unit college level introductory class in computer science to 50 students; wrote course objectives, syllabus, and lesson plans; selected text and developed programming assignments.
- Possess credentials to teach the following subject matter areas: Business & Industrial Management, Computer Science, and Computer & Related Technologies.
JD, John F. Kennedy University School of Law, Walnut Creek, CA; Class rank—12; Editor-in-Chief, John F. Kennedy University Law Review.
MBA, Golden Gate University, emphasis in Information Systems/Computer Science, San Francisco, CA
BS, University of California, Davis, Environmental Planning and Management (Urban & Regional Planning), Davis, CA
BAR ADMISSIONS, MEMBERSHIPS, AND ACTIVITIES
- State Bar of California, Bar #215483
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California (federal)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (federal)
- John F. Kennedy University, Paralegal Advisory Board
- Robert G. McGrath American Inns of Court, Executive Board Member
- Contra Costa Bar Association
- Mediation Society of San Francisco, Executive Board Member
- FINRA Arbitrator A58669
- Judge Pro Temp
- Contra Costa Bar Assoc. Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Chair
REPRESENTATIVE CLIENT LIST
Clients include law firms ranging from solo practitioners to large (more than 100 attorneys) law firms in diverse locations throughout California. Representative law firm clients include: Northern California: Hanson, Bridgett, Marcus, Vlahos & Rudy; Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, Fitzgerald Abbott & Beardsley, LLP; Tobin & Tobin; Weinberg, Roger & Rosenfeld; Nichols, Catterton, Downing & Reed, Inc.; Fagen Friedman & Fulfrost LLP; Kimball, Tirey & St. John, LLP; Randick O’Dea & Tooliatos, LLP; Harris Rosales & Harris; LLP; Dannis Woliver Kelley; Futterman Dupree Dodd Croley Maier, LLP; Friedland, Rivas & Associates; Law Offices of E.J. Mascoli; Favaro, Lavezzo, Gill, Caretti & Heppell, P.C.; Oakland City Attorney’s Office. Central Valley: Dowling, Aaron & Keeler, Inc.; Cassinat Law Corporation; Prout·LeVangie, LLP. Southern California: Jampol Zimet Skane & Wilcox, LP; Law Offices of Amanda Hill; Hemar, Rousso & Heald, LLP; Miles, Bauer, Bergstrom & Winters, LLP; Kolar & Associates; Greene Fidler Chaplan Hicks, LLP; Schonbrun DeSimone Seplow Harris & Hoffman, LLP.
COMMUNITY SERVICE AND ACTIVITIES
Boy Scouts of America (BSA) Mt. Diablo Silverado Council of the BSA, Advisory Board member 2017-present. Executive Board member and chair of the strategic planning committee, 2007 – 2017
- Mt. Diablo Silverado Council of the BSA, Jamboree 2005 organizing committee, Member, 2002 – 2005
- Troops 810 and 221, Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill, CA, Assistant Scoutmaster, 1995 – 2009
- Course Director/Scoutmaster National Youth Leadership Training (2014-2016)
- Silver Beaver Award. The Silver Beaver Award is the council-level distinguished service award of the Boy Scouts of America. Recipients are those that have made an impact on the lives of youth through hard work, self sacrifice, dedication, and many years of service. It is given to those who do not actively seek it.
Walnut Creek City Council Committees
- Appointed to the Transportation Commission (2015-to present). The commission advises on all issues affecting parking and transportation. Topics include the Transportation Element of the General Plan, roadway operation, parking, alternatives to single-occupant vehicle travel, the Downtown Trolley, and other transportation related matters.
- I-680/24 Coordinating Committee, (chartered to oversee $350 million reconstruction project of an interchange that handles 290,000 cars per day), Appointed Vice-Chair, 1988 – 1999
- Year 2000 Goal Setting Committee (responsible for setting 20-year land use goals for the community), Appointed Participant, 1986 – 1988
U.C. Davis Alumni Activities
- Scholarship Committee, Cal Aggie Alumni Association with annual awards of $6,000, Chair, 1990 – 2001
- Contra Costa Chapter of the Cal Aggie Alumni Association, President, 1991 – 1995
- U.C. Davis Alumni State Scholarship Committee, Board Member, 1989 – 1995
Parent School Activities
- Sequoia Elementary School Parent Association (SPA), Board Member, 2002 – 2003
- Falcon Band Boosters of College Park High School, incorporated organization as a California Non-Profit; organized and led trips to music festivals in Hawaii and Southern California, President, 2000 – 2001
Ken Strongman (www.kpstrongman.com) has years of experience and a growing national reputation as a mediator and arbitrator. He has successfully resolved more than a thousand disputes in the fields of construction defects, real estate, intellectual property, and employment. He is also a Mediator and Arbitrator for FINRA.
© 2019 Ken Strongman. All Rights Reserved. Please do not copy or repost without permission.